The history of the Barmherzige Brüder Gremsdorf
As the monks moved into Gremsdorf in the autumn 1895, they took over a building that was built around 1742, secularized in 1803, and had served for several centuries as "Amtsschloss" (administrative premises) of the former Benedictine Abbey of Michaelsberg in Bamberg. Their goal was to receive in the building and look after men with mental disabilities.
Structure and development
After considerable difficulties caused by extreme poverty in the 1st World War and the euthanasia in the 2nd World War, the Barmherzige Brüder could restart their mission towards disabled people in 1946. Besides structural changes in the house and service innovations in the second half of the 20th Century, several new buildings were raised to increase the housing quality. In addition to the new residential buildings, a Technical School for Medicinal Education (Fachschule für Heilerziehungspflege) was founded and, in 1990, the workshop for people with disabilities went live.
The monks retired from Gremsdorf in 1994, and since then the institution has a secular leadership. As of today, 280 men and women with an intellectual and/or psychic disability live, reside and work in our establishment in Gremsdorf.